Friday, March 21, 2014

The Beauty of Creative Crops




Good afternoon all you fabulous people! Sometimes, I get questions about why certain parts of a photo are more blurry then another part or why certain parts of the body are cut off. Today I want to focus and share with you a little about [my opinion on] creative crops - parts that are cut off ;)

When I started my journey into the world of photography, I was so focused on capturing the smiles and centering my subject into the frame so that no detail went unnoticed. Looking back on those first captured moments, I now realize that there was very little creativity and individuality in my images. Learning about copping the body [in camera] properly can do wonders to a image.  

My boudoir photography is a good example of this. Women and men, purchase boudoir sessions as gifts for their significant other [for the most part]. They want to give them something sexy...something intimate. Now, during my sessions I coach my subject into a pose. I snap a few photos...but then move in closer to catch the details - The curve of the hips and waist. The spot where the neck and shoulder meet. You get the idea. Capturing those details as well as full body shots, allow more emotion to seep into the image and it brings the images to life. And lets not forget about leaving some things to the imagination. 

But enough of my rambling. Below are a few examples of what i'm talking about. 





Here you can easily tell where I was focusing and drawing attention to. 



The last two photos i've cropped out the top potion of this young ladies head. I did this because I didn't want her to look like she had no head at all even though that's not where I was focusing on.




Now, please don't misunderstand me. I am NOT by all means a expert at this and I don't claim to know everything. I constantly do research to keep myself learning this field. And from what I have learned, practiced, and researched, sometimes things just seem to turn out amazing when I push myself to try something different! 

<3 <3 <3

Until we chat again! 


Ashley Kingsley 
Kingsley House Photography





No comments:

Post a Comment